Spiders and Webs


After a long and exhausting weekend, I was really stoked to go to bed early last night.  Of course, as is often the case, my ability to sleep was inversely related to my level of exhaustion.  Around 1am when I got up to get a drink of water, I noticed a giant spider with a web right above my bed.  Too tired to get a fly swatter and climb up, I pulled out my bed half a foot from the wall and went back to sleep.  After all, I would be able to kill the spider tomorrow.

By this morning, I realized the error of my ways.  The web was there, but the spider was not.  Of course, I could get a broom and sweep down the web, but the spider will just climb up and make another one.  Getting rid of the web does not get rid of the spider.  In fact, it will probably just produce an angry spider.  The last thing I want is an angry, web-spinning spider hoovering over my bed.  I should have gotten the spider and the web when I had the chance.

The Bible is constantly reminding us to be vigilant.  Why?  Because the spirit is willing and the flesh is weak.  Because it's easier to sleep than to fight.  Because we think we can take care of things at a later time.  Because it's easier to get the web when the spider is away, than to face our problems head-on.

If you see a spider, don't let it get away.