An Un-pedestrian Experience



Photographer: nathancolquhoun of flickr under CC2.0, and this new work is hereby released under a similar CC3.0 license.

Double-post today because it's not every day you have a brush with death, and I'm pretty sure it's some kind of rule in the Blogging handbook somewhere that you have to talk about these things when they happen.

Some backstory:
1) I don't have a car, so I walk (or bus) everywhere.

2) I almost got hit by a car today (Tuesday).  Green light, white "walk" signal, lit intersection and wasn't wearing dark clothing, was in the crosswalk.  No cars around, and I get 3/4 of the way across and a car makes a left turn at around 40-45 mph in front of me with maybe 1-1.5 feet clearance.

3) Almost the very same thing happened a couple years back when I was living in another city.

4) You might say (as my parents suggested) that I must be a negligent pedestrian in order for this to have happened (especially twice, but I think they forgot the first time.)  
Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a stickler for pedestrian traffic rules, though.  I never jaywalk.  EVER.  Even when there is no one around and the light is red for five minutes.  I will stand there and wait.  And if you're walking with me and go on ahead, I will still make you wait for me.  That's just the way I am.
But it's the Internet, and I'll let you think what you want.  Occupational blogging hazard.  Years of forum-admining taught me not to be this guy.

5) Funnily enough, my life circumstances this time around were about the same as the first time this happened.  I guess it's kind of a "thing" between me and God now.  (And maybe a sign I should stop questioning Him lol)

6) God is good, and I thank Him for His provisions.