Motivation


It's important to know why we do the things that we do.  It's easy to get stuck into a routine and forget why we started it.  I've been listening to a lot of Switchfoot lately.  I think a lot of it has to do with me holding on to the things that are familiar with me: my old music, my old TV shows, and the like. 

One of their songs off the Oh!  Gravity. album is called "Awakening," and it's basically about "waking up" from our routines and living for something more than deadlines and ourselves.

The first star that I saw last night
Was a headlight of a man-made sky
But man-made never made our dreams collide, collide

Here we are now with the falling sky and the rain
We're awakening
Here we are now with the desperate youth and pain
We're awakening

Maybe it's called ambition
You've been talking in your sleep about a dream
We're awakening

Last week saw me living for nothing but deadlines
With my dead beat sky
But this town doesn't look the same tonight

And that's a message I needed to hear, a lesson I needed to learn.  I know why I'm here, but it's easy to forget the importance of it.  The significance of being in a certain place at a certain time with certain resources at  my disposal (also the lack thereof).  "Man-made never made our dreams collide," but the Spirit of God breathes life and creates out of dust.  He makes all things new and redeems all things damned.

I wanna wake up kicking and screaming
I wanna wake up kicking and screaming
I wanna know that my heart's still beating
It's beating, I'm bleeding

Sometimes the paths that we're on will bring us pain, but at least we're alive :)  And we're alive to do the good works that God has prepared for us.  And the same Spirit that breathed life into us is the same Spirit that rose Christ from the dead, and He is the same Spirit that seals our inheritance and equips us for ministry.

And since it's Free Friday and I can do whatever I want, here's a webcomic for you, too.





Photographer: Joe Gratz of flickr under CC2.0.