Mars Hill Membership


On this blog, I've griped a number of times about how I tried to find a church: I dedicated my time and energy to one church after another, but the church was not able to uphold its side of the deal

As an update, I would like to share the good news that I have finally found a fantastic church!  The "finding" was really a matter of opportunity: 1) Mars Hill Seattle planted a campus in Orange County and 2) God provided a car with which I would be able to drive there.  I have been following Mars Hill for around eight years.  Yes, I am aware of the various criticisms of the church and of Mark Driscoll, but I have confidence in this church and its leadership.  However, I do not follow a man, but Christ.  And while I am in the process of pledging myself to this church, my identity and loyalty is not bound directly to this local church, but to the Church as a whole.

Going through the membership covenant is like reading a giant sermon.  I wanted to share some of the verses from the "Statement of Faith" section in hopes that it confirms and deepens your understanding of the Gospel.  The second reason why I'm sharing is in the hope that someone on THE INTERNET finds that this is a useful list and is able to bookmark it for later.  For a more comprehensive doctrinal statement, Mars Hill's may be found here.

Either way, I felt that these verses were particularly Advent-appropriate.  Take some time and meditate on the basics!

Related topics I want to cover in the future: church-shopping, church membership, mega/ multi-campus churches, celebrity pastors

For your convenience: A list of "one another" verses


Statement of Faith

The Gospel:

John 3:16-18

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

Rom. 3:23-26

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.

Jesus:
 
Matt. 26:64 (and Mark 14:62)

Jesus said to him, "You have said so. But I tell you, from now on you will see the Son of Man is seated at the right hand of Power and coming on the clouds of heaven.”


 Luke 22:70

So they all said, “Are you the Son of God, then?” And he said to them, “You say that I am.”                                                    

John 4:25–26

The woman said to him, “I know that Messiah is coming (he who is called Christ). When he comes, he will tell us all things.” Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am he.”

Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”                         

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?” She said to him, “Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who is coming into the world.”


Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”


I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

Sin, Repentance, Redemption:

1 John 1:9

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

2 Corinthians 5:17

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.  The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

Baptism:

Colossians 2:12


having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead.

1 Peter 3:21

Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,