Questions Week: What mistakes do you wish you could take back?


Blessed are the poor in spirit, for they shall inherit the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

What makes you poor? What makes your mourn? What mistakes have you made that you wish you didn’t?


I think there’s a pull within Christian culture to either deny our poverty and pretend everything is OK or to deeply mourn our brokenness before God without ever accepting His comfort. Both are equally sinful and both are equally selfish. Both place our works and performance above God’s righteous decree: I will love you. By my stripes you are healed. It is for freedom that you have been set free. There is therefore no more condemnation for those who are in Me. You have been saved by grace, not by works, so that no one may boast.

I’ve done both of these. I’ve had my everything-is-fine-praise-God church face. And I’ve also had my woe-is-me-I-am-of-but-dust-and-to-dust-I-will-return pity party moments. But both these attitudes focus on ME and MY situation and what I have done.

But really, the Gospel is this: Christ died while we were still sinners. 1) We are sinners! We are poor, and we mourn our sorry state. 2) Christ died for us! He knows how we are, and He restores us and heals us and forgives us and brings us into His family.

He gives us the Kingdom of God; it is ours to inherit. He comes to comfort, if we will cast our cares upon Him.

What do you wish you could take back? Will you take it to Christ instead?