More


Romans 8:31-39


37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
It is very easy for me to drag myself through life.  What I mean is that I find myself living from day to day, midterm to midterm to final, deadline to deadline, quarter to quarter.  I look at my circumstances and are mastered by them.  I become stressed and I worry.   And then I remember that at the heart of these attitudes are lies.  My circumstances are not my Master; control over my circumstances (if at all possible) will not bring me happiness.

Returning to the Bible, I remember once again who I am.  In all "these things," I am more than a conqueror.  Not a victim.  Not a passive participant.  Not even a conqueror.  I am more than that.  And what are "these things"?   Backtracking starting from Romans 8:31 we find
If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? 33 Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36 As it is written,
“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”
In the original context of this passage, "these things" refers to intense persecution as a result of proclaiming Christ.  However in our own daily lives, I feel this passage speaks to the more mundane tribulations and distresses we face as well.  If the Christian is more than a conqueror in the face of death, how much more so in the face of finals week!

The key is that the power of the Christian does not lie in triumph over his circumstances.  In fact, the  were still being "killed all the day long."  Being more than a conqueror does not insure "success" in our endeavors.

But look at what makes us more than conquerors.  What makes us more than conquerors is that God is for us.  He gave us Christ, and He will graciously give us all things.  God justifies, and Christ has paid our penalty.  Nothing will separate us from the love of Christ.

It is when we look to the cross and the God who orchestrated such a scandalous and horrific event as an expression of his love, we can be more than conquerors.  When we focus on what matters, the rest melts away.  Instead of looking at my circumstances, the cross frees me to look at Christ and run the race before me.  I won't just finish, but I'll more than conquer it.