Fervor


A post from my prayer journal that I hope will encourage my readers.
You know those times when you know what you should be doing, should be thinking, but when you try, it doesn't seem to work? Everything feels half-hearted, but the problem isn't everything,, it's you. It's me. I've been feeling like this on and off recently. How do I go from being half-hearted to sold out? From being lukewarm to on-fire?

Even as I write this, I'm reminded of the lukewarm church in Revelation 3, and I revisit the passage.
"'I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! 16So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. 17 For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor,blind, and naked. 18I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes,so that you may see. 19 Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. 20Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. 21 The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as(AZ) I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.'"
The church's problem is that they forgot who they were and who God is. That's my problem, too. When I look at schoolwork and social justice work and other responsibilities of mine, I let my performance in these areas dictate who I am. But that's not who I am. I am wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked - but I have been given worth, love, wealth, sight, and am clothed by the righteousness of Christ.

I can't decide to change my heart, but I can decide to "buy into" Christ. I can buy gold refined by fire. How? By seeing it for what it is. For dwelling on it and understanding its worth. And for selling everything I own and everything I am for the One I've found. (Two things God told me: that He is strong and He loves me.) And though he reproves and disciplines those that he loves, he also makes us rich and clothes us and gives us sight and knocks on the door of our hearts. He is near. He has conquered and invites us to sit and rest in His victory.

He who has an ear, let him hear the Spirit speak. Let he who hears not be a hearer only, like a man who looks at himself at a mirror and forgets what he looks like, but a doer. And let he who does do it whole-heartedly as the conquering love of Christ transforms him by the renewing of his mind.  Praise to Jesus Christ who gives us the victory.