Thursday of the first week of Lent


Colossians 1:20

...And through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.
 I'm well aware that the Greek word apokatallasso, meaning "to reconcile fully" has nothing to do with Legos.  But for some reason, when I think about the doctrine of reconciliation, I have the mental picture of tons of tiny Lego pieces spread out over the surface of a table and God stretching out his arms to scoop them up by bringing them close to His body.  

However, this analogy is an incomplete one.  Most people like Legos.  At most, some may be ambivalent.  What I mean to say is that I don't know anyone with a strong aversion to Legos.  I am not a Lego.  I am proud and self-righteous, and the Bible says that my self-righteousness is like a filthy rag.  Instead of Legos, we should think of ourselves as used tampons.


Isn't that a sobering thought?  That Christ would reach out and grab us, reconciling us to himself.  He did not reconcile from afar, but instead literally stooped down to our level.  He touched us and lived with us.  He showed pity and compassion.  He healed our infirmities, but that healing came at a price.  He who knew no sin became that dirty tampon for us.  He bore the dirtiness and the shame.  He became revolting before the eyes of God and man so that we could have his holiness.  He made peace by the blood of his cross.